It's a dream until you write it down, and then its a goal. - Anonymous

Monday, May 24, 2010

Supplements





So I have been doing a ton of research on supplements...there is so much research out there! I have also talked to a lot of people and it seems everyone has a differing opinion. After narrowing down my list of supplements (protein powder, bcaa's and glutamine) I decided the best course of action was to visit a Supplement Store and speak to a professional. From recommendations (based on service as well as price) I decided to go to Samson's on Macleod Trail. When I got there I felt a little out of place and overwhelmed! It seemed to be full of the typical " juice monkey's"...sorry I hate to generalize but that is just how I felt at the time. It is a tiny store but to my surprise it was packed from the floor to the ceiling. There was only one little pathway that would get you from one end of the store to the next. The more I started looking and reading the more confused I got. So I decided to man up and get some help from an employee. There was only one person in at the time (I believe his name was Jason). He was the typical guy you would find in a supplement store...however he was very knowledgeable and very kind. I kind of half expected him to laugh in my face or at least roll his eyes when I told him that I was looking to train for a fitness competition. However, to my surprise he was genuinely interested in helping me out (that is what I get for judging a book by it's cover I guess!).
The first thing we looked into was protein powders. I had mentioned that I was lactose intolerant and he right away pointed my to the "ISO-Sensation line". He mentioned that this product was twice filtered and so if there was any lactose that got through it it would not be enough to effect me...plus they had lots of great flavours! I picked up a bucket of "Cookies and Cream" which they had on special for $79.00! I have been using the product for just over a week and have to say that I love it! I have not had great luck with protein powders in the past because my stomach can't seem to handle them very well, but have not had any problems with this product...and best of all it tastes great! I have since tried the chocolate fudge variety and that one also tastes fantastic! I think next time around I will try the Brazilian Cafe kind...mmmmmmmm. With my workouts I am using one scoop of protein powder before and one scoop after my workout (mixed with water).
My next purchase was the Ultimate Nutrition Glutamine powder, which came to $29.99 (Glutamine helps muscles with the recovery process). I had the option for go for a different variety of flavoured Glutamine but I didn't think that the flavours that were available would mix well with my "Cookies and Cream" protein powder. Currently, I mix one scoop of Glutamine with one scoop of protein powder for my post workout shake (of course mixed with water).
My last purchase was a bottle of ON BCAA (Branched ChainAmino Acids) 1000 Capsules. I went with the 200 capsules for $29.99 since I am just started out (for course the bigger bottle you purchase the better the deal). I take 3 capsules when I wake up, 3 prior to workout and 3 post workout. For those of you like me who aren't great at taking pills, these are almost a deal breaker because they are huge! Seriously, you would think that they are meant for animals not people!!! I am happy to report though, I am getting much better at swallowing them :).For those of you that aren't familiar with BCAA's I will give you a brief description about them which I am copying straight from the bottle:
"BCAA are essential, meaning that they must be consumed through the diet, since the human body cannot make them from other compounds. BCAAs have long been used by strength-training and endurance athletes alike to activate muscle synthesis nd reduce muscle breakdown caused by intense training".
Besides these supplements, I do take a Women's One a Day daily vitamin.
I will keep you posted on any changes in my supplements over the course of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment